- PREP:Soak the poppy seeds in little bit of water.
- Wash the rice and drain it to a colander.
- Cut , wash and marinate the chicken with chilli powder , turmeric powder ,juice of half lime salt and pepper.Keep it aside.
- Mix the saffron in 1/4 cup of hot water and let it stand.
- Grind together soaked poppy seeds , green chillies , ginger and garlic to a paste.
- Heat little bit of oil or ghee in a flat pan . Add the chicken pieces and stir fry for 7-8 minutes or until the pieces are firm.Drain the chicken pieces.(Optional Step)
- CHICKEN MASALA:Add a little bit more oil if required.Then add 2/3rd of the sliced onions and saute till transparent. Then add the chopped tomatoes and poppy-chilies-ginger-garlic paste and stir fry for 5-6 minutes till oil seperates. Add the curd and stir well . Add the fried chicken pieces along with lime juice.Stir , cover and continue cooking.When the chiken is almost done , add the chopped coriander , chopped mint and curry leaves along with biryani masala.Mix and continue cooking till the chicken is dry.
- RICE: Meanwhile , take another pot and heat some ghee.Adding ghee at this step is very important.Add rice and saute it for about 5 minutes on low flame till rice is tanslucent.Then add little less than double the quantity (7.5 cups) of hot water with salt and cook till rice is almost done and water is all absorbed.(Lime juice , bay leaves,1/2 tsp biryani masala , tumeric powder for color etc can be added to the water while cooking rice)
- While the rice is cooking , heat some oil in a pan and deep fry the rest of the onion slices to dark brown and crispy.
- LAYERING :Now take an oven proof vessel.Spread 1/3rd of the rice at the bottom of the pan.Sprinkle fried onions , saffron water , rose water , raisins and nuts.Then spread 1/2 of the chicken .Repeat this layering , till you get 3 layers of rice and 2 layers of chicken. The top layer should be rice and decorate the top with lots of garnish( fried onions , saffron water , rose water , raisins and nuts).
- BAKING : Preheat oven to 350 degree F and bake the biryani for 15-20 minutes.Take it out , mix gently and serve with boiled egg, raita , pappad, lime pickle .