- In a skillet roast the coconut along with red chillies , cumin , fennel , cinnamon , cloves and cardamoms. Keep roasting in a medium flame till coconut is browned .Let is cool down and grind to a paste along with ginger , garlic and poppy seeds.
- Heat the oil in a pan .Saute the onions till browned .Add the curry leaves , turmeric powder , red chilli powder , coriander powder and the ground paste . Saute till oil separates. Now add the chopped tomatoes and stir fry till tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Now add the chicken pieces along with salt . Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice with the required amount of water . Mix well . Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the chicken becomes tender.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro .
- Serve with rice or roti.